Thursday, April 30, 2009

Morning Sounds

Since I've moved to New Mexico (it will be 8 years next month), the spring mornings have always enchanted me. I sit on my front porch sipping my tea, the coolness of the air and the warmth of the sun blending into a delicious fusion upon my skin. I have views of the Jemez mountains in the distance, and I can see the cottonwoods down in the valley beginning to leaf out in soft clouds of delicate greens. The little Rio Chupadero has started to flow again from the snowmelt off the mountains, and it's music thrills me as it reaches up the hill to my ears. The songbirds, too, fulfilling their springtime destinies, suffuse the air with sweet melodies. I feel blessed to have this inspiration all around me, floating in and out of my consciousness as I work in the studio during the day. It all trembles in time and space and eventually becomes a painting of how I perceive Nature's essence.

Morning Sounds III, 2008, oil on canvas, 24x24 inches
© 2008 Diane McGregor



3 comments:

Angela Wales Rockett said...

Sounds lovely. I haven't been to New Mexico since I was a kid, and that was just to see Carlsbad Caverns on our move to Arizona. I've been craving seeing the desert again lately, and New Mexico is on my list of possible destinations.

And the painting is just beautiful.

Diane McGregor said...

Angela, I've never been to Carlsbad Caverns; have always wanted to see them. If you ever come out to Santa Fe, please get in touch with me!

Angela Wales Rockett said...

Thank you, I will!